Thursday, February 18, 2010

bloggin

Castles
This one kind of frustrates me. It isn't that I don't like it, but I'm really angry with the arm. It DEFINITELY looks awkward and unnateral. You can barely tell it's an arm, it looks like a stick coming up from the ground. It was really difficult because that was how it looked from the picture I did it from and I worked it as much as I could, but could never seem to get it right. I also feel like it may need more sand around the castle, but I'm not too sure. I was trying to show the way shadows correspond with the past in terms of the development in childhood- like they make is simple but carry a weight. I don't really know about that, but really what I really liked about the picture was the shadows the person and sandcastle created. They're so bold, but I feel like I should make them even bolder, they seem to fade more than I would like now that I really look at them. Even though the castle is right front and center without any interesting composition, I like it. I found it pleasing to me to see a central image that didn't completely draw in your eye. The piece does not have too much flow or movement but I feel like it has harmony. I am pleased with how simple it is and how I don't have the urge to add in a whole bunch of unnecessary details that would only distract from the image.

7 comments:

  1. Cara - I feel like you are finally back. Both of these pieces are strong!!! The message is clear and powerful. The sand painting/drawing uses contrast to draw the viewer in. I adore the composition, it's mysterious but instantly recognizable. We have all had that experience. Connecting with the viewer is critical. Wonder is wonderful. I'm impressed how well you used the media to express your idea. Again, the subject/composition is demanding the viewers attention. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The part i like the most about the first peice with the sand castle is probably the sand around the bottom cause it looks so real. You use value in both peices very well and makes the objects pop out more. the arm in the first one does look a bit awkward, but i deffinately could tell it was a hand. I think the first peice has good proportion and unity, it works well. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and to make the arm look a little less awkward maybe you could do something to the wrist and how it connects to the hand. maybe give it some solidity by giving it some detail in the joints of the fingers or knuckles, idk, hands are always difficult for me

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that the mixed media works really well with this piece. The combination of the mediums nicely suggests how the sand around the castle was worked during its building process. The castle looks great with its sagging form; very lifelike.
    I see what you mean about the arm. Maybe you could bring the line of the arm out into the hand a little bit more to connect them or even draw little wrinkles on the hand where the skin is smooshed together by the position of the arm and hand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this drawing is very very good. I would suggest that you smooth out the graphite on the left knee (that is the figures left knee). The sand castle is very impresive and i like the movement the shadow of the figure has. I agree that the arm is weird, but maybe you can use that to your advantage and have that as an eye catcher. If not, you can always try to erase and redraw the arm, but that's up to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The castle in the middle really works because you have the person on the left and empty space on the right, it really does feel like there is harmony in it. One thing i love about this is how it looks kind of like when on photo shop you can layer pictures over each other. My sister gave me a photo with is of some palm trees in santa monica with a picture of the ocean waves layer over it. It look sort of like waves of the beach behind the picture. I feel like this layered feeling gives it even more depth and meaning with the shadows. It a very good drawing and i am so excited to see what else you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  7. First off your issue with the picture isn't a problem. If it doesn't look right then change it! Its your art and you are free to play with it. If you can't figure out how to do it from your head use another picture of and arm from the same perspective. Wonderful emphasis in the second piece where the face is partially hidden. That fact alone makes it stand out. I wish there was something else going on to make it more interesting, some black string or something else embedded int he layers. You have some much freedom with that medium but I just don't get that from your work. The sand castle one is so fun. Mostly because of that water effect you made, amazing. It feels like you embraced your medium a bit more. The sandcastle itself is a perfect middle of page so that could be a bit off to one side or the other, but you do have the knees up top to help balance that out. The reflection of the knees in the water isn't quite doing it for me, but that could be due to the flat nature of the blog spot picture and not your actual piece. Anyways you did a nice job with a pretty tricksy medium so I applaud you.

    ReplyDelete